My wife and I have had our pup Rasta for about 2 years now and one of favorite places to take him is the dog beach in Del Mar. If you have a dog and you live in San Diego you definitely have to make the trip at least once, but if you love dogs and you don’t own one it’s still worth the trip.
If you’ve never been, simply exit route 5 at Via De La Valle and head west to the beach – it dumps you almost directly at dog beach. For those of you that like specifics here’s a map of the location and just below I’ve provided a map for parking. Roads marked in green are free (most for 2 hours) and only a short walk from the beach, while areas marked in red are paid parking.
A few helpful notes:
- Off leash season: unfortunately only September to June
- Bathrooms: yes, two porta potties at the entrance
- Dog bags for pickup: yes, also at the entrance
- Not enclosed: there are no fences and it backs up to the busy 101
- It can get super busy: this can be a good and bad thing
- Check the tides: I like low tide when the beach is bigger and there’s more space
Here’s the Yelp listing as well as a few pics from a recent visit.